As I blog about sports and events in the Webster Groves community, I like to include our elementary and middle school age children as well.
This week, we look at a junior-level volleyball player, Grace Early, who is a seventh grader at . She invited me to her volleyball tournament, which held at St. Louis Sports Center on Saturday. Grace plays for a select club volleyball team (H2-St. Louis), which is in its first year. The none-member team is coached by Sarah Manley and Annie Goede.
H-2-St. Louis won two out of the three matches that I watched (19-5), (19-17) and (17-19). I noticed that all of the team members were very good servers. As a matter of fact, accurate serving is how they scored the majority of their points. It was a real challenge to photograph the matches, because there was a lot of action in the gym with six matches being played side-by-side, simultaneously.
I had a chance to talk with the team after the game and learned something about each player.
- Grace has been playing volleyball since the third grade, and she likes art. I asked Grace what is one thing that everyone should about know her. While she was pondering an answer, a couple of her team members said that she is a good sister to her brother Grant.
- Hannah Johnson is a student at in Ballwin. She has been playing volleyball since third grade, and her favorite subject is math.
- Elizabeth Pepper and Audrey Lee both go to in Clayton, and their favorite subjects are math and social studies. Both girls were in their school’s play Twisted Tales of Terror.
- Sabrina Wright goes to Zion Lutheran School in Harvester, MO. She has been playing volleyball since the fifth grade, and her favorite subject is science.
- Clare Bishop is a student at in Kirkwood. She has been playing volleyball since the fifth grade and her favorite subject is physical education.
- Ally Brown is a student at in Creve Coeur. She has been playing volleyball since the sixth grade and her favorite subject is science.
- Olivia Rekittke attends in Kirkwood, and this is her first year playing club volleyball.
- Hillary Hightower was not at the tournament. She attends .
Even though the players on H2-St. Louis volleyball team attend different schools, each player will make a major contribution to their high schools’ volleyball teams.
If you would like to view or purchase any of the 300 photos from the game, please email me.